New Link April 2019
We are pleased to announce that we have formed a linked charge with St Margaret’s Episcopal Church in Tayport.
Newport History group are pleased to announce that the tapestry “From Bridge to Bridge” will be shown in St Mary’s Church on 4th, 5th and 6th May 2019, from 10am to 6pm each day. Admission free. Part of North Fife Open Studios weekend.
From Bridge to Bridge
25 local stitchers lovingly created 27 tapestry panels of local scenes from Newport and Wormit, which was named From Bridge to Bridge.The whole project took a year, and the finished panels went on show for the first time at the Newport Festival in June. One of our own congregation members stitched a panel depicting St Mary’s church.
All of the panels will be on display again in October, at a coffee morning in the parish Church hall.
Harvest Thanksgiving 2018
We celebrated our Harvest Thanksgiving on September 2nd. The church was beautifully decorated, and we had a huge basketful of groceries for the Food Bank. Many thanks to the flower team, and those who contributed to the food bank supplies.
A service of nine lessons and carols, led by Revd Roy Anetts, will be held on Sunday 17th December at 4pm. This will be followed by mince pies at mulled wine at the back of the church.
Christmas Day 10.45 Eucharist, led by Revd Robin Paterson
Newport Christmas Celebrations
On 3oth November 2017, as part of the village’s Christmas celebrations, the shops were open late and there were special events. Part of the celebrations involved the Busy Bees Nursery children, who sang Christmas songs in our church to an appreciative audience of Mums, Grans, and locals. This was followed by Newport Primary School choir, who also entertained with Christmas songs. The audience changed over between performances, and it was mayhem for a while as one group tried to leave and another group tried to get in! There were buggies galore, and even a dog among the audience!
CHRISTMAS SERVICES 2016
- Sunday 18th December at 4pm. A service of Lessons and Carols, followed by mulled wine and mince pies.
- Saturday 24th December at 11pm. There is no service here at St Mary’s, but there is one at St Margaret’s in Tayport. Celebrant Revd Denise Herbert
- Sunday 25th December. Eucharist at 10.45am. Celebrant Revd Jim Thomson.
- Thursday 24th November 2016, saw the Newport on Tay Christmas Lights switch on event, when various activities were available, and the shops opened late. St Mary’s church welcomed the little people from the Beehive Nursery who sang Christmas carols to an appreciative audience of over 70 adults and children. They were followed by the Newport Primary School singers, and a whole new audience!
- On 20th November 2016, we were invited to St Margaret’s in Tayport to share in their celebrations of the Feast of St Margaret, and also the 120th anniversary of the building of their church. We shared the Eucharist, then enjoyed a wonderful spread they had prepared for us.
We are delighted to announce that we have been able to renew our church gutters with the help of a grant from the National Churches Trust. http://www.nationalchurchestrust.org. We obtained this by applying via Scotland’s Churches Trust http://www.scotlandschurchestrust.org.uk
SOUP AND BREAD LUNCH
A soup and bread lunch will be held in the church hall, High Street,on Friday 4th March at 12 noon – 2pm. This is in aid of Christian Aid, and donations are welcome. The soup choices will include Doreen’s famous Minestrone! Come and join us.
|28th Feb||Lent 3||Janice Cameron||Isaiah 55:
|6th March||Mothering Sunday||Exodus 2:
|2 Corinth. 1:
|13th March||Lent 5||Isaiah 43:
|Psalm 126||Philippians3:4b-14||John 12:
|20th March||Palm Sunday||Palms:Luke 19: 28-40
Passion: Isaiah 50: 4-9a
14- 23: 56 OR Luke 23:1-49
|27th March||Easter Day||Acts 10:
|1 Corinth 15:
Sunday Readings for October and November 2015
4 October Pentecost 19 Genesis 2: 18-24, Hebrews 1: 1-4, 2: 5-12, Mark 10: 2-16
11 October Pentecost 20 Job 23: 1-9, 16-17, Hebrews 4: 12-16, Mark 10: 17-31
18 October Pentecost 21 Isaiah 53: 4-12, Hebrews 5: 1-10, Mark 10: 35-45
25 October Pentecost 22 Jeremiah 31: 7-9, Hebrews 7: 23-28 Mark 10: 46b-52
1 November All Saints 2 Esdras 2:42-48 Hebrews 12: 18-24 Matthew 5: 1-12
8 November Remembrance Ruth 3: 1-5, 4: 13-17 Hebrews 9: 24-28 Mark 12: 38-44
15 November 2nd before Advent Daniel 12: 1-3, Hebrews 10: 11-14. 19-25, Mark 13: 1-8
22 November Christ the KIng Daniel 7: 9-10, 13-14 Revelations 1: 4b-8 John 18: 33-37
29 November Advent Sunday Jeremiah 33: 14-16, 1 Thessalonians 3: 9-13, Luke 21: 25-36
Sunday 23rd August 2015 at 4pm. Sung Evensong with hymns. Please join us on the Eve of the Feast of St Bartholomew to sing Psalms and Canticles in the Office of Evening Prayer from the Scottish Prayer Book.
The Baptism of Alistair Leek took place during the Eucharist on 21st June 2015
St Mary’s Easter edition of the magazine is now available to view here: